If you are like me, you constantly want to stay on top of the latest information in mommyland. I breastfed my daughter, Johanna, for 13 months. However, with the upcoming arrival of my son, I have been researching books on nursing like crazy. With my daughter, we had a rough start with nursing, and I want this time to go smoother from the start. Here are a few of the best books on breastfeeding out there, in my opinion.
3. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
This book has several authors and is written with the support of La Leche League International, so you know it is going to have valuable information and be a good read. It is a bestseller and contains stories, advice, photos, and lots of information for moms and moms-to-be.
- Information about nursing post C-section or after a rough delivery with complications
- Guidance for moms on breast health issues and other topics from daycare to medications that are safe
- Internet references for moms who want more information and support from La Leche League
2. The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers
This book is written by Jack Newman. Dr. Newman has established breastfeeding clinics all over the country, and in this book, he has provided a guide for moms to overcome any fears or worries they have while traveling through their nursing journey. This book focuses on the possibilities of succeeding in breastfeeding more than the difficulties women have with nursing.
- Information on weaning toddlers
- Breastfeeding help for moms who adopt or have premature babies
- How to handle a nursing strike or if baby simply refuses the breast
- Tons of resources for mom
1. The Better Way to Breastfeed: The Latest, Most Effective Ways to Feed and Nurture Your Baby with Comfort and Ease
I recently checked out this book by Robin Elise Weiss at my local library and I was not disappointed. It features information on any topic you can think of within the subject of nursing. I was overwhelmed with all of the information that I could use with my upcoming arrival of my son.
- Tips and tricks for how to nurse a needy newborn and handle older children
- Ideas for what to wear while you are breastfeeding to make you feel comfortable in public
- References and checklists to help you know when you need to ask for help
- Ways to incorporate breastfeeding into your everyday lifestyle
While there are many, many books on breastfeeding out there, I think these are three of the best. Breastfeeding is an amazing way to nourish your baby and take care of yourself. As moms, we should never quit wanting to learn more and grow as mothers. Get to reading, moms!
Karyn Meyerhoff is a mom of one and one on the way. She hopes that the first month of breastfeeding her son will be a breeze after reading up on some information she forgot about.